Sunday, October 24, 2010

Things to Do


With Winter quickly approaching, I'm beginning to Brainstorm indoor activities for the boys. I was overjoyed to talk with a friend who provided a great activity that I will now share with you bloggers:
I wrote four different categories on notecards: Nuts, Vegetables, Fruits, and Grains.
I then attached those notecards to the back of a chair.
Fill the chair with the respected food
Assign a price to each food item.
Give child fake money, a shopping cart, and a hug.
Tell him that he has X-amount of money to use at the store today and if he wants more he much EARN it by putting his groceries away.

Caleb pushed his little shopping cart back and forth collecting his favorite food items and then paying me the respected amount. He loved it! When he ran out of money he would put his groceries away in the correct place in the kitchen.
This activity was not only fun but educational as well! Since I've introduced the shopping game, it's been a regular activity in the house.
Thanks Leah for the great suggestion!